This is a weekly meme hosted by the good folks at The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is…
Top Ten Rewind
For this rewind, I decided to revisit one of my earliest TTTs and share some of my favorite book quotes.
Top Ten Favorite Quotes From Books
1. “Real or not real?” – Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
I mean, really. How could this not be one of the best lines of a book? Peeta uses this as a test of his memory as he is trying to remember what is true about Katniss and their relationship versus what has been altered by President Snow.
2. “Think about all the tomorrows of your life.” – Monster by Walter Dean Myers
This is good advice for anyone, but especially for our narrator who is faced with spending his life in jail for his participation in a crime.
3. “It is strange how we hold on to the pieces of our past while we wait for our futures.” – Matched by Ally Condie
Even on a young woman’s wedding day, one of the items she carries is “something old,” something to connect her to the past she leaves behind as she takes a giant step forward.
4. “I spent my life folded between the pages of a book.” – Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
The main character in this book lacks human interactions (she physically harms people when they touch her skin), and she gains access to people and relationships through books. It reminds me of myself (as well as other readers) because so many of us live so many lives between the pages of a book.
5. “All I have to do is get rid of Lindsay, convince Robbie I am the woman of his dreams, stop Mum splitting up the home, grow bigger breasts and have plastic surgery on my nose, and I have cracked it…” – Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison
I love this quote from Georgia because it’s just so…Georgia. Written as a young girl’s diary, this book literally made me laugh out loud so many times.
6. “I didn’t destroy a Death Star or anything like that, but I did just get through the fifth grade. And that’s not easy, even if you’re not me.” – Wonder by R.J. Palacio
Everyone that has read Wonder, loves it. Auggie doesn’t destroy a Death Star (he loves Star Wars), but he does inspire every life he touches, both fictional and real.
7. ” Queen Bitterblue never meant to tell so many people so many lies.” – Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
This is the first line of Bitterblue, the 3rd book in Cashore’s Graceling Realm series, which is one of my favorite series of all time. It’s so full of intrigue and mystery. One can’t help but wonder what lies has she told and why?!
8. “Have you ever noticed you can’t get away from yourself? There is no way to get away from oneself. You’re always there with you.” – Stupid Fast by Geoff Herbach
Have you ever wanted to get away from yourself? Yeah, it’s kinda impossible.
9. “Here’s some advice. Stay alive.” – The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Oh, Haymitch. He’s so sweet and coddling to Katniss and Peeta as they get ready for the games. (Not.)
10. “A person’s a person, no matter how small.” – Horton Hears a Who by Dr. Seuss
I read this book with my 9th graders every year, and this movie is one of my daughter’s favorites. It has such a great message of acceptance, and I think all people should remember this line!